Cooler temperatures, piles of leaves to run through, pumpkin patches to explore – your furry companion is just as excited as you are for the season, and now there’s one more thing the two of you can enjoy together.
Though your dog might not be able to drink your PSL, they can still enjoy a pup-kin (oops, we mean pumpkin!) spice treat. These chewy superfood cookies are made with healthful pumpkin and a dog-approved blend of the classic spice. (Below is our recipe for dog-safe pumpkin spice.)
Pumpkin Spice Soft Dog Treats
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or non-stick baking mat. Whisk together pumpkin spice ingredients; store in airtight container.
- In medium bowl, combine all ingredients; mix thoroughly (dough will be thick and sticky). Wrap dough in plastic wrap. Let rest 5 minutes.
- Cover countertop with wax paper or silicone baking mat. Unwrap dough; knead a few times. Garbanzo flour is a little sticky but will smooth out as you work it.
- Roll dough into a rope about 1” thick.
- Using butter knife, cut rope into desired treat width. Arrange on prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes, or until slightly firm to the touch.
- Transfer to wire rack. Let cool. Transfer to airtight container; store in refrigerator to maintain softness.
Dog-Safe Pumpkin Spice
- 3.5 tbsp ground cinnamon Ceylon cinnamon is preferred.
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- Combine ingredients and whisk together.
- Store in a small airtight container.